BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

by Mot
Cart #mot3d-5 | 2021-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I'm sure this has been done dozens of times already, but I thought it would be fun to give it a go.
So here's a simple Wolfenstein 3D style ray-caster.

There's no game-play at all, you can just move around.
You can edit the level in the pico8 map editor (make sure it is always enclosed, otherwise you'll get an infinite loop - rays only terminate when they hit a wall).

Update: Cleaned up & optimised code. Added textured ceiling and floor.

P#69222 2019-10-24 07:20 ( Edited 2021-01-16 09:56)

Cart #wudawupota-1 | 2019-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A crude test program to emulate the HDMA behaviour of the SNES.

Current features:
--background tiling
--scrolling background
--scaling background
--changing scaling between drawing lines

Runs VERY slowly.

UPDATE: changed a bit of code to fix some graphical errors. (Don't do math on indexes. It causes issues.)

P#69211 2019-10-23 19:57 ( Edited 2019-10-24 01:02)

Here is my code so far. I am trying to get the fish on the screen to move in an upward motion by itself, after I can master this I am going to try to do a collision detection for if the frog touches the fish = game over. Can anyone give me pointers on making the fish move by itself? Thank you

function _update()
fish_sprite+=18
if fish_sprite > 19 then
fish_sprite=18
end

char_sprite+=1
if char_sprite > 9 then
char_sprite=1
end

if btn(0) then char_x=char_x-1 sfx(05) end
if btn(1) then char_x=char_x+1 sfx(05) end
if btn(2) then char_y=char_y-1 sfx(05) end
if btn(3) then char_y=char_y+1 sfx(05) end
end

fish_sprite+=18
if fish_sprite > 19 then
char_sprite=18
end

function _draw()
cls()
map(0,0)
spr( char_sprite, char_x, char_y)
spr( fish_sprite, fish_x, fish_y)

print( time())
end

P#69205 2019-10-23 17:36

Cart #tunawinafi-0 | 2019-10-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Features

Save and Load

Achievements

Fast Score-Attack Action!!!

Description

You play as the Galactic Grasshopper rescuing imprisoned citizens from the evil empire.
Grasshopper bores into a prison asteroid and then leaps out, rescuing the prisoners as he exits.
As he rises up, enemies teleport into the hole he bored.

Rescue the prisoners and flee the asteroid!

Each round is harder than the last, having more enemies that are increasingly aggressive, but also more opportunities to score.

Instructions

Go Up, Save prisoners, blow up enemies

Press up to jump
Your jump sends out an attack that will destroy enemies
Press the action button to activate your shield. It has a cool-down period and cannot be used while Grasshopper is flashing.
Intercepting attacks while using shield can give huge amounts of points

P#69198 2019-10-23 14:21

Cart #tarot-2 | 2019-10-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A simple card based rogue-like made for mini-jam-39-monster.

P#69192 2019-10-23 06:42 ( Edited 2019-10-23 06:47)

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a multiplayer 3D platform game where players spawn into a room and must jump across platforms to get to the next door. the door then teleports all players to the next room for players to progress through.

The issue I am having is : The door works if player 2, 3 and 4 use it, however when player 1 goes through the door the game ends and the score screen comes up.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Start:

If 1st player enters door:

If 2nd player enters door:

P#69189 2019-10-23 04:19

Cart #ultimaengine-0 | 2019-10-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello, so as you can tell this isn't finished, planned to be though. This is a simple engine for ultima, as of now it's very basic. you can add to it as much as you like.

P#69176 2019-10-22 20:57 ( Edited 2019-10-23 21:51)

Was curious to know if you could run and program modern Pico-8 (pico-8_0.1.12c) on this particular piece of hardware:

https://store.planetcom.co.uk/collections/devices/products/gemini-pda-1

Also, do you have Pico-8 running on something off the shelf of a desktop Windows computer ? If so feel free to reply with your findings, both positive and negative, on the portable device you run yours from.

... Or can you recommend some device outside of PocketCHIP that effectively runs Pico-8 and allows you to efficiently code on it besides ?

I'm trying to avoid any reviews of PocketCHIP as the keyboard and physical design look REALLY BAD. (can't fold it and looks like a puffed up membrane keyboard). :(

In all case, please include images, links, and/or prices of the other compatible hardware if they are not readily apparent.

Thanks !

P#69172 2019-10-22 18:56 ( Edited 2019-10-22 20:06)

Hello, i started making my first game on pico8 (a simple topdown thingy) and i'm already stuck.

I want to draw my wide sprite, but the command line stays black, without outputting errors ?

I wonder what's wrong :/

thanks for the help!

P#69168 2019-10-22 14:30 ( Edited 2019-10-24 16:56)

Is this working with Pico8?
Could you please have a look:
http://retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html
Where can I download the rasberry pi version?

P#69164 2019-10-22 10:01

Cart #hifagisun-3 | 2019-10-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Went through the Nerdyteachers platformer tutorial and made a little version of my own :D
Hope you enjoy!

P#69118 2019-10-20 19:05 ( Edited 2019-10-26 07:40)

Calculators have always fascinated me. For that matter numbers. Even before I could bring Dad's calculator to school I was busily working on paper with digits 0-9. Fascinated, just ... fascinated by what they meant, what they implied, and what they COULD mean with new definitions.

When I finally understood computers, I was quite interested. No, that's not the right word. I was OBSESSED. Obsessed to the point of mania would it could mean. What I could do. And what I could do with tools that worked with these numbers. Tools within tools. Numbers within numbers ...

So perhaps this is a work of love, real love, for the majesty and magnificence of numbers.

With that out of the way, let me show you what I have done.

I suppose it's a bit of a calculator, but with a difference. You can have ANY number of digits. And I mean any. Right now I have it scaled for 64-digits. That includes positive and negative.

Most importantly, it does NOT do it a single number at a time as you can tell. No, it truly does add and subtract every digit intelligently. So if you have 16-digits set. Then it will take no more than 5-loops or 80 looped statements to get the right value.

• [1st loop] retrieve digits
  • [2nd loop] find largest numbers
  • [3rd loop] add digits (if adding)
  • [4th loop] subtract digits (if subtracting)
  • [5th loop] locate beginning of return value
  • [6th loop] send return value to variable

NOT 1-million loops to get a value of 1-million.

So far it's just addition and subtraction, but maybe that's because I don't really know how to write simple code to multiply or divide without a calculator or computer.

Anyways, it does addition and subtraction quite well, and as mentioned, with any number of digits. I'm not kidding about that.

mab
by dw817
Cart #mab-0 | 2019-10-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Try out the sample program included and you have a few controls available to you.

Press LEFT and RIGHT to increase and decrease randomly by several thousand.
Hold (O) and LEFT and RIGHT to do it 100 times over.

Tap (X) to double your value. This will rapidly increase the amount. Remember, I just have it keyed to work no more than 64-digits at the moment. You can always change that.

Tap UP to take out the last digit in your number. A good way to shrink the value.

Try this for a test.

Hold (O) and RIGHT to get it up to about 50-million.

Now hold (X) for a bit to see it dramatically increase by doubling the total each time. You can check my work with a calculator too if you want.

Seems to work well for positive numbers. Alright, either hold (O) and LEFT or UP to get the value back down. Test it for negative numbers now.

Here's where my hardest coding came in. To bounce back and forth between positive and negative WITHOUT getting the wrong value. Test it though, please. I want this to work right. I think it does. I hope it doesn't get any errors.

I feel a little like Willy Wonka developing a new candy. As he (Gene Wilder) said, "I don't think so. Few more tests."

Anyways, there you have it. A single function that you can use in your own code to count well past trillions. Definitely good for scoreboards or long-playing RPGs with huge experience point values.

Likely you can find other more interesting uses for it.

P#69113 2019-10-20 16:59 ( Edited 2022-10-19 21:55)

Cart #purrinormalcativity-0 | 2019-10-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Purrinormal Cativity is my family's entry to the Spooky September 4-Color Jam! Play as a cat taking a stroll through a graveyard on a starry fall night. Knock over jack-o-lanterns for points while avoiding ghosts, bats, and owls.

This is my first PICO-8 game, and was a full family effort:

My wife: Most of the graphics
Son #1 (11): Music and SFX
Son #2 (10): Level design and play testing
Me: Coding and a couple of the sprites

Credit where credit is due, we couldn't have done it without these resources:
Advanced Micro Platformer - Starter Kit
Minsky Circle
Let's Make Breakout in PICO-8!

P#69104 2019-10-20 11:23 ( Edited 2019-10-20 11:25)

Cart #mortem-2 | 2019-10-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

a simulator for suicide. i spent a month working on this, i'm slow at programming

character art was done by vinh duong

EDIT: i accidentally commented out a small effect before

P#69103 2019-10-20 10:28 ( Edited 2019-10-22 13:23)

Cart #tasowowobe-0 | 2019-10-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

direction button and C to reset the level
Thanks for playing and have fun!!!

P#69094 2019-10-20 05:31

Cart #word_quiz_animals-2 | 2019-10-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A small young children game for learning to spell and read.
want to update with more and more animals (ideally consume all possible sprites).

P#69082 2019-10-19 23:22 ( Edited 2019-10-26 12:52)

Cart #zruyohse-0 | 2019-10-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Heyo!
I'm making a small game about chronic illness.
The idea is that the player has to go to the hospital every x amount of time.
They're also fighting a monster of sorts on the left side. But they'll get constantly interrupted because they'll run out of energy and have to go to the hospital.

Right now, I'm not sure what kind of mechanic I would have for the fighting of the monster. I was thinking basic turn based attacks like an RPG, but maybe something more action might be fun.
Any suggestions?

P#69076 2019-10-19 21:26 ( Edited 2019-10-19 21:27)

Cart #marioded-0 | 2019-10-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made for Trijam #41. What happens when the hero fights for too long? When he uses up life after life, walks too much, stares (and falls) into too many abysses?

A short, dark take on the Super Mario world!

P#69057 2019-10-19 10:50

Cart #ruwihetsu-0 | 2019-10-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So that's my first PICO-8 game, some kind of demake of that infamous T-Rex game on Chrome. One of my schoolmates gave me the idea in tech class, so I spent like two school days coding this. Also asked me if I could make it in 60 FPS, so it is. Code's really messy, could use some improvement, but hey "it just works".

P#69053 2019-10-19 08:13

Cart #debug-2 | 2019-10-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

to load this cart in Pico-8 immediate mode type:

load #debug-2

updated 10-18-19: Now works correctly no matter what the names of your functions are or even if you rename the debug() function itself.

Ah ! I bet you did not know about this ?

There is a command in Pico-8 that lets you see what function you are in as well as the line number ! Works with nested functions too, as deep as you please.

Debugging your code just got a lot easier.

Try out this sample program and feel free to use this function I put together to assist you. Every time you call DEBUG() it will display at the bottom of the screen what function called it and at what line number.

Big thanks to @Felice for introduction to trace() command which is neither listed in the Pico-8 manual nor the advanced manual. Sometimes things are just found like that. :)

HOPE THIS HELPS !

P#69039 2019-10-19 02:07 ( Edited 2019-10-19 04:34)
View Older Posts